Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Proceed with Caution...and Laughter!

So last night I ventured out to get my bike for the triathlon...

I asked my friend to meet me because she knows way more about bikes then I do, AND it was my first experience using craigslist (which in itself is an adventure!)  We gave it a good look over, rode it around a bit, and my friend thought it was a pretty good bike so I went ahead and bought it. I was very excited to finally get something at a good price for my height and weight. It'll need a tune-up, but I'm happy with it.

That being said, I learned a few valuable lessons that I think the general public should know:

  1. Whoever made up the saying that goes something like "it's just like riding a bike" is full of crap and can kiss my butt
  2. If you can't walk and chew gum, this activity may not be your best choice
  3. Do not try to purchase a bike while still wearing your work clothes (and shoes for that matter!)
  4. Pushing backward on the pedals is not a form of braking...you will continue to move forward, and probably get faster.
  5. Please refer to number 4. Repeatedly. The brakes are now located on the handlebars.
  6. No dumbass, that adult sized bike is not gonna fit in your compact Ford Focus
  7. You WILL apparently need a bike rack
  8. Cages are required on the pedals to keep your feet from slipping...if you don't have them, please refer back to number 4.
I know I made my friend laugh, and sent her home with a good story.

Here's my new Baby:

Now comes the fun part...finding a helmet for my big head...and YES, I will need one!

1 comment:

  1. In my defense....I only laughed a tiny little bit!

    ReplyDelete