Friday, June 22, 2012

Smiles and Tears

"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble" ~ Helen Keller


I am a very humble person. I rarely speak of myself, and it sometimes renders me cripplingly speechless when attention is given that I don't think I deserve. Well...this past weekend took me beyond any of that. I was moved to tears several times in one day, because the strength of those around me helped me find strength in myself.

I overcame a HUGE milestone, that I was quite honestly prepared to fail...

This triathlon has challenged me mentally and physically for months, and this past weekend was no different. My fellow athletes and I were to meet on Saturday morning for a simulated, non timed triathlon. The purpose of which was for you to see how far you've come, and know what you need to work on in the coming weeks leading to the race.

If you read my last blog entry, you know I was quite psyched out about this. The whole morning leading into it, I was almost silent, but internally struggling and on the verge of tears. Could I really do this? I calmed myself the best I could, and decided to take it one step at a time.

Step one - Swim

  • I jumped in the pool, and hesitated at kick off. I took a deep breath, and away I went. Before I knew it, I was at the end of the pool, and didn't even realize I was done. It was the FIRST time I had completed my swim.
Step two - Bike

  • I transitioned, regrouped, found my mentor, and on the road I went...and went...and went some more.  I started to feel like I was flying. Then came the hill. I let it get to me, but that's ok. I KEPT going. I even found gears on my bike that I previously didn't know how to use. I made it to the end!
Step three - Run

  • I transitioned once more,  grabbed my gatoraide, and took off. My back was tight, my calves were screaming...but I could NOT stop moving. I tried to run, and the mobility was almost not there...but I had to keep going. I walked...and walked...and walked. Including two of my best girlfriends, there were so many encouraging faces offering support along the way. It was almost overwhelming. Before I knew it...I started hearing cowbells. I looked up and could SEE the finish line. I HAD to start jogging...their spirits were lifting me.  My team had stayed and was heading toward me to cheer me the rest of the way...and then it happened.
          I raised my hands, and I FINISHED.

I am overwhelmed. If this was just a practice, I cannot wait to see what the full event brings. I didn't think for a moment that I was ready to do this, but my flame has been lit from the inside and I want my light to shine.

I WILL do THIS!  
It has been truly amazing and my heart is full of joy.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my friend, none of us ever doubted you. Only you did. We are not surprised...but we are VERY proud.

    ReplyDelete