Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Remember to Feed Your Soul...

"Food for the Body is not Enough. There must be Food for the Soul." 
~ Dorothy Day



How cool is that quote? It recently came up on one of those 'positive daily thought' type websites. I read it, and it was if it had been posted just for me. There have been things stuck in my head that have been so hard to get out...seeing this quote was just what I needed. I'm finally ready to let this out...

Well over a year ago when I was in the midst of all of my health issues, I started to feel like I was losing all of the things in my life that had always given me joy. When you've been diagnosed with a ton of food sensitivities, and a plethora of autoimmune problems, it's easy to lose focus of what's good in your life.

One of those 'good' things that has always been a part of me, is music. To the core of my soul, there are days when nothing touches me more than that perfect blend of lyrics and melody. I am a singer. Always have been, and I'd like to say that I always will be. It wasn't until last year when I was slapped in the face with these medical issues, that I was confronted with the fact that I might not always be able to say that.

I might not always be able to be a singer...unless I really started to take care of myself. My voice...my beautiful Soprano voice (and for those who know me...yes...I did just use beautiful and myself in the same sentence!) and my confidence were starting to be affected by my health.

I can handle anything... Any Diagnosis. Any Treatment. Any Strange Food Restriction. Anything. But when I started to realize that my singing voice was also being affected... my heart broke. When did I realize this? When, for the first time in my life; I didn't make it back into a singing group that I had come to love. When that news was delivered to me; I accepted the decision graciously. It has taken me until now to realize and express how totally and completely that decision has affected me.

My health was taking my voice. This was not acceptable.
I finally had to take a break from singing. 

I really was Broken.

I have worked SO hard in the past year. I struggle on a daily basis with food choices. I'm learning healthy exercise habits. I'm losing weight slowly but surely, and I'm learning how to make my body strong. A Year. A whole freaking year.

Well my friends...it's time. Time to feed my soul again. I've worked on correcting how to feed my body. It's time to bring back what feeds my soul. I will volunteer. I will audition. I will fail. I will dust off, and I will audition again. Because music is my food...

"If Music Be the Food of Love, Play On"
 ~ William Shakespeare


*********************************************
Want more fun? Follow me on these other social sites:

No comments:

Post a Comment